Rob’s Rapid Fire Review IX (catching up on albums)


I’m sorry. It’s been a while. I have a lot of catching up to do huh? Work, my mental state, writer's block, and honestly music being average this year put my blog page off to the side. I noticed too most of the reviews have been very negative this year , which yeah is funny to me and my readers but I'm not trying to be a grumpy old head, I just, turned 31. Since my last post a few came and many went, a key emphasis on "went", and I said "fuck it" Let me talk about them before the year-end lists drop in a couple of months. I try to keep this brief about each album cause there are a lot of them. Without further ado, Here we go!


COYOTE by Tommy Richman: I was planning to do an actual review of this but I honestly don't have much to say. Tommy not having two of his biggest hits of his career and honestly all year was a bold choice for him, in hindsight makes sense since they don't fit what the album was going to sound like. This shit kinda sucks. There are moments of something there, The production choices were nice, "TEMPTATIONS" sounds like some shit you hear in retro Miami clubs and his vocals fit that style of song. "THOUGHT YOU WERE THE ONE" is another highlight of a typical "I'm going through a bad breakup song" song but the rest of the album is a dud. My major gripe is his songwriting is not that good, it's not engaging and pulls me in. Another issue here too, I rather just listen to Brent, to be honest. I'm also curious and won't be shocked if he changes soon in two years, I don't think he's gonna go the post malone or jelly roll route of doing country music, but I can see making Toro Y Moi or Mac Demarco-type music, his voice fits that lofi, funk sound. I just hope will still care by next summer and not become another one-hit wonder, flash-in-the-pan artist cause something is there, but not with this. 

Better Me Than You by Big Sean: Man, who remembers this coming out? I swear I thought this came out in the spring but it dropped a month and a half ago as of writing this. You think someone with his name would be talked about more but no gives a fuck, rightfully so. The album is all over the place of different trends and styles in rap right now, "mature" big Sean raps, and long runtime. The only high point of this was the Alchemist track, which is a teaser of their collab album. Going to be better than whatever the fuck this bullshit was! 

Short n Sweet by Sabrina Carpenter: ........Don't laugh. There's a charm to this, it's sweet and cute of a record but it does get bitter and bland towards the latter half of the record. I think the biggest single is catchy as hell, and reminds me of something a K-pop group would make, honestly, there's maybe another song or two that has the vibe of a K-pop track. Overall it's an ok album that is rough around the edges and has so much time to grow as an artist. Let's hope she doesn't rush the release of her next album and please stop working with Jack Antonoff, Man is washed and tired at this point. 

This is How Tomorrow Moves by Beabadoobe: I can finally say her name right thank god. A feel-good record of sorts, I like the 00s's pop-rock sound mixed with songwriter folk style in the songs. Easy to enjoy and a cute record overall even though she took a step down in quality from her previous without making the record sound bad or mid as the kids say, 

Hood Poet by Polo G: Yeah, no. I'm good off this. The COVID era run was a moment in time though. 

Ultra 85 by Logic: What? I liked this! What do you me to say? I was a HUGE Logic guy a decade ago, I was waiting for this album for fucking ages. The wait was worth it, It does have corny moments here and there, too many skits, and features being so-so but I enjoyed this more than I thought. It's a personal and relatable listen for me, I love the self-motivation raps, doesn't feel super corny (to me) from a super corny guy. Bittersweet in a sense it took him this long to drop this with many people not caring about his music as much anymore since his output has been spotty or dogshit but as the old fan in me, I',m glad to hear this album. Thanks, Bobby. 

F-1 Trillion by Post Malone: I'm gonna keep it real, I think the discussion of his career and the switch up of genres is more interesting than the album itself. Like we all see this coming…..but we will be here all day with those talks, the album is meh though. 

Days Before Rodeo (Tens Year Later) by Travis Scott: It still holds up, I miss this era of Travis Scott, to be honest, he sounds way too commercial now. He still has the top-three record in my opinion. 

Gap Year! by Lalia!: Maybe my favorite album this year? Being the daughter of Yasiin Bey fka Mos Def should give you that talent gene and I'm glad she got it. Wild she's 18 and she has so much time to grow and expand with her sound, the album sounds like a veteran made this record. The production with the synths and lyrics and overall record sounds like a throwback of the R&B I heard growing up but blend it with the modern pop sounds too in this pot of gumbo, it's so good. I can gush about this album all day, You have to check out this if you haven't got the chance to listen to it yet. 

Mixtape Pluto by Future: 2024 has been this man's year, two albums with Metro, and this has him returning to his roots. The weakest of the albums he dropped this year, rough around the edges with it being less polished and consistent to fit the whole vibe of the Future mixtape era, overall the album is whatever to me. I remember I didn't care for Future's early work when it came out so maybe that's a reason I don't love it as much other people. It's better than some of the other albums he's dropped in the 7-8 years, I'll give him that. The hook on "PLUTOSKI" is so fucking funny man, he sounds like Walugi.

Ten Days by Fred again.: It's fine. It's a very generic, easy-going, nice introduction to the house artist's music or the genre itself. Nothing too crazy or groundbreaking, it's just some chill tunes, the Sampha is the best song here. The album is about appreciating the moments of life although it can be dull is the way I describe this album as a whole. 

In Waves by Jamie xx: Man, good to hear from this guy again. This takes me back to my early 20's. I love how he flips some of the vocal samples on this joint, I wanna hear this album live in person one day to get the experience of feeling free and joyful. The genre has become more mainstream since his last record but I do still fuck with this style of house when done right and not feel super lazy and forced. "Treat Each Other Right" is up there with one of my favorite tracks this year. 

Plan A by Lil Tecca: I'm 31? This isn't for me. Glad you enjoy it. 

Love Lasts Forever by Destory Lonely: This shit fucking sucks. 

Sex Drive by Chow Lee/PLAY CASH COBAIN by Cash Cobain: I put these two albums together in this cause they're the same thing to me. The 'Sexy Drill" sound has been brewing up in the past year, with more bigger rappers hopping on this sound. These two are the face of this style, I enjoy both albums, there a fun time despite my major gripes being the beats can sound the same and blend with that drum and bass pattern, freaky frog and funny lyrics, and the length of time of these albums are way too much. Shorten the albums yo. I wonder what the next big artist not named Drake is going to hop on this sound, my money is Carti with his Meatwad voice. 


Comments