My favorite albums (and songs) of 2024…so far.


Hey everyone. It’s been a while. Feels like I haven’t posted in months but it’s barely been a month, who knew? It’s the time of the year again……MID YEAR LISTS! ARE YOU FOLKS EXCITED?! So far this year music has been pretty well for me. I’ve discovered lots of obscure artists and expanded upon genres of music I’ve never thought I would check out. As I get older sure there are artists that I don’t get but some do click with me, which is a good thing. Enough talking let's get right into this. Hold on before we start, here's a list of my favorite songs so far this year

Not Like Us, Euphoria, and Meet The Grahams by Kendrick Lamar 
Family Matters by Drake 
Million Dollar Baby by Tommy Richman 
Type Shit by Future and Metro ft. Travis Scott and Carti 
Bad Bitty by JP
Slut Me Out 2 by NLE Choppa 
For Me by Loe Simmy
Runner by Chief Keef
Resident Evil by Lazer Dim 700
Don't Reach For Me Knocked Loose 
Atrophy: Angel by fallingwithscissors
FLATLINE by Bladee
Apple by Charli xcx
Dub Schneider by Skee Mask
"Radio" by Vince Staples
On God by Mike ft. Earl Sweatshirt and Tony Shhnow
All to Myself by Future and Metro ft. The Weeknd 
Slow Motion by Matt Champion and JENNIE from BLACKPINK 
How Sweet by NewJeans
WOKE UP by XG
ILUV by Yeat
Pop Yo Shit by Veeze

Alright *phew* with that out of the way, here we go!


Injoy by LAZER DIM: Rob from five years ago would've said "The mixing is bad, disjointed off-beat flows, bad lyrics, who the fuck would like this garbage?????" Rob of today kind of would've said the same thing but......I love this shit. Look past all the flaws, this is a rollercoaster of listening. I think there's a charm to this, he's rapping with a turtle beach headset, using a shitty laptop to make his craft (I think?), and no mixing, it's so "punk" to me. Rappers have been thinking they are the "new rockstars" but this is the first album where I get those vibes. I can look at this as a joke or a meme but the talent is there and he's still young so he has tons of time to grow. This fills the void of Young Nudy not dropping right now cause he does have that Nudy flow. FUWKFUWKFUWKFUWKFUWK

Both Future and Metro albums: I can easily say not only Future's best album in a while but also Metro's best album in a while as well right? So funny both albums are a huge fuck you to Drake and kicked off a fun weekend of memes and diss tracks. Look past that, there are a lot of moments from both albums that can feel pretty bloated but there are some amazing highlights with songs ranging from "Type Shit" to "All To Myself". If I had to pick between the two records, I like the rap one more, the R&B album loses steam towards the end and the 2nd disc was cool but I still enjoy the first half of that album. A lot of fun bangers for riding around your city or town or local shitty house party. 

BRAT by Charli xcx: I know this just recently came out when I am writing this but holy shit what an album. I don't wanna glaze this album like most people cause there are a couple of dull moments but this new joint is near perfect. it's very catchy with interesting production choices and the lyrics are pretty dark and self-loathing but fit the theme when you go to a club in the first place, let go and feel alive again. AG Cook no puns but he was cooking in the studio with the production (god I hate myself), production ranges from gritty club anthems to synth-pop with hints of that hyper-pop charm she is known for, I do wish the songs would have better transition to flow better. God bless Charli with the SOPHIE tribute track, she's very well missed. Fresh and fun album, this is going to get a lot of spins this summer or whenever I'm down in the dumps. just the perfect package of most of the pop genres blended into this was the right choice. BRAT IS LOVE BRAT IS LIFE I'M BRAT CODED. 

Almighty So 2 by Chief Keef: I didn't think this would ever drop, this shit was supposed to come out two years ago but after 50 delays, here we are. The long-wait sequel to his cult classic debut album is maybe Keef's best album in his catalog. The album has moments of the gospel and Jesus themes, which throws you off when you go from a song like "Treat Me" to "Jesus", the skit was stupid but I did get a few laughs. Keef is a very underrated producer and I feel more rappers should work with him, he has a good ear for finding samples, which can be odd and over the top from time to time on this album. Side note, it's good to see he sounds and looks focused, healthy, and ambitious, it's crazy that he's about to be 30 soon. Overall a fun album with its keef's humor and production that was worth the wait. 

Dark Times by Vince Staples: I've always been a fan of Vince for years but an album like this from him is something I've been waiting for from him in YEARS. What stands out for me on this one is the writing being the main focus while the production is more subdued and inspired by that era of jazz soul raps where the focus was the lyrics and not the beats. It fits the theme of the album cover and title with Vince being at his most personal, which he has talked about in his past albums but it seemed more out apparent in the way he wanted to construct this album. I do praise the album is at the perfect length of 35 minutes and sure songs like "Justin" could've used another verse or the songs at the end could've been a bit fleshed out but that's ok, I am glad the album didn't overstay its welcome. I applaud how he makes his music so simple and easy to listen to but still hits you in a way where you can relate. The funniest people deep down always have some demons and sadness in them and I'm glad Vince clicked that together on this one. 

The Death and Birth of an Angel by fallingwithscissors: the 30-year-old guy who mainly listens to rap and pop listen to a metalcore album cause of the anime album art and is happy he did. Love the drums, perfect length, and it’s the perfect music when I am playing a Souls game or DOOM. So funny to hear a Monogatari OP, shit threw me off. I look forward to what they do next. 


You Won’t Go Before You’re Supposed To by Knocked Loose: Oh look, another metalcore album on here, HOLY SHIT FUCK GOD DAMN THIS IS SO BEAST AND RAW FUUUUis UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCK!!!!!!!!! If you’re someone who is a metal or rock head who’s been looking for something new to try or to expand your horizons, this is the album for you. I feel like I can beat souls game boss with my bare hands when this shit plays. WHAT A INSANE ALBUM! 


2093 by Yeat: Since he’s been out, I’ve never liked a full-length Yeat album, I would like songs here and there but his album was always such a drag. They just felt super bloated and a slog to listen to. With this album here, it finally clicked with me. It’s his most ambitious and most creative album he’s dropped so far. It feels like I’m in Night City from cyberpunk, the production and atmosphere give me those vibes. It’s like you took the beats from Yeezus or Sophie and made them more distorted and darker, also yeat’s flow and rhymes feel tighter, he even raps about how he’s sober so you can hear he is more focused and clearer. It paints a whole picture of what the world could be like and how music could sound like in the future, I wonder if Yeat was watching Blade Runner when making this. Overall, just a refreshing album, I wonder hear him on some AG Cook beats next. 

What other albums have I liked so far: In a quick rundown of other albums that I enjoyed quite a bit, New Mach-Hommy was solid, I never thought I’d lived to see the day of him and 03 Greedo on a track together. Bladee's “Cold Visions” was a bit of a slog but the album is pretty dark and personal if you look past that, “Blue Lips” by Schoolboy in a sense “came and went” but there are still highlights on this record, New Billie Eilish record was better than her last one. If you’re a huge of synthpop, check out the new Allie X album, I love that era of 80’s music. Mike’s new album with Tony Seltzer was different from what he’s known for rapping on but nice to see him branch out and try new things. and finally, the new gum.mp3 record was good too. 


What I’m looking forward to: It’s hard to say to be honest. I could be cliche and say “Maybe this is the year Jai Paul and Frank Ocean drop” but who the fuck knows. There have been some teases of a new Kendrick album, which makes sense if he does after winning the beef between him and Drake. Will Drake this year? maybe? I hope he does more melodies songs than his acting tough songs. SZA might drop this year, also Isiah Rashad too so TDE seems they letting their artists drop new music now. cool! As of writing this, NxWorries is back and made up and is dropping their long-awaited album,  Lucki is also dropping too as of writing this and when this comes out. Is Carti going to drop? NewJeans is back too so they have something lined up. Zach Bryan is doing an album rollout and he’s one of the few country artists I listen to, so I am excited. 

and that’s that. Hope you guys enjoy this short read, what’s your favorite album so far this year? What are you looking forward to? BYE! 







 

Comments