UTOPIA by Travis Scott


That fan went to Egypt and all he got was a camel ride and no show lmao. I honestly can’t believe it’s been five years since Astroworld dropped, felt that shit dropped like last year or even two years ago. Travis has been mainly quiet since the whole tragedy at the festival of the same name where ten people died and twenty-five were injured including one of the victims being a ten-year-old boy. He did post an apology video, which was heavily ridiculed and became a meme. To be quite honest, crazy how the Internet turns anything that’s a tragic event into a meme nowadays, honestly insane. I don't want to be a mood killer starting this review off but it's just insane to me how he got away with being negligent when the tragedy was going on and now we're celebrating a new album, but that's the name of the game when you're famous. Folks like us are gonna be intrigued by what he has to say. I'll admit I wasn't all that excited about this album, I briefly mentioned just now one of three reasons why. He did appear on other people's tracks and albums, I felt that weren't that great at all. Felt he just phoned in it most of the time. Lastly, This year in Rap/Hip-Hop has been mild and disappointing, The major releases this year came and went so quickly, it's insane to think about. Nothing has stuck just yet but with this, Perhaps that could change

Now a couple of tracks I've heard before, either were leaked or were a snippet at an event someone was at. "GOD'S COUNTRY" I legit think there are ten different versions of this song out there on the web, I know most of the versions had Ye on the song, The verse was cut so we have an extra Travis verse now. I enjoyed the track, even though it was overplayed for me before the official version came out. "Telekinesis" another song that was meant for Ye, was from I think the "YANDHI" era (I have to ask Rezi about that). This one has SZA and Future as guest spots, a very solid track. I was floating on this song, and SZA killed her guest verse, I could see this fit for a future flick down the line, the production felt it would've fit a Nolan film. 

"Lost Forever" I am so glad it cut, The Alchemist produced this, Westside Gunn is the guest verse, it's perfect. My favorite song on this album, I kinda hope this isn't a one-off, I hope they've more stuff cooking. "Modern Jam" has people debating if this song is good or bad, I liked it. It's a goofy fucking song, Teezo sounds like a vampire from the Rocky Horror show when he appears. If I can paint a picture to describe this song, it's an underground nightclub that's very small, smells, and has that vibe of something you see in the Blade movies, I enjoy Travis's energy on this, being a DJ at the underground club. So the production was meant for "I Am A God" on Yeezus, which funny enough, one of the daft punk lads produced this song, who knew? I was dancing like the kids from the Peanuts cartoon when the first came on. 

Speaking of "Yeezus", I've seen people say that album has a heavy influence on here, I don't hear that much to be quite honest with ya'll. There are hints of it here and there, Like on "Circus Maximus" with the drum samples from "Black Skinhead", Travis even raps the same slow from the song, mainly the same flow from the hook. I think the Weeknd carried this track for me, Travis did ok but he got outshined here, which is a very common theme. The number one reason why I enjoyed this album more than I thought I would, Travis gets washed so many times on here, it's honestly funny. Speaking of Abel, he's featured on the lead single "Kpop" with Bad Bunny. This song is so ass, Bad Bunny was the only one the kept the song have some life to it, I remember hearing a snippet of this last year and it sounded like it was meant for Benito's next album since it seems he's going down the house music route, It didn't have Weeknd guest verse on the OG version of the song, Travis was barley on it too. Weeknd's verse was so bad here, I'm still a huge fan of the guy but his image has changed for a lot of people since his HBO show was so bad on how it made him look, which he still defends to this day which like, the show flopped badly man, let it go. He does have this line where it makes me wish his verse was added at the last second, he says 'Even though she Korean, Get her wet like a tsunami" What the fuck are you talking about man?

Speaking of Travis getting washed on his song, "Meltdown" with Drake, Drake is no mister nice guy once again everyone, look out! In all seriousness, one of his best guest verses in a while? I would say yes. He sounds like a Batman villain rapping about getting Pusha's best friend Skateboard P's chains and melting them down is so funny, that man is such a petty human being. I am so sick of this beef at this point, I do wonder if Drake pays for some bots to diss Pusha on the “X” app. It's no "Sicko Mode" but the track gets the job done, it's a fun song overall, and I love the beat switch. I’m gonna make fun of that dude who said he liked Drake whispering in his ear, that’s Sus man. BIG PAUSE.  "FE!N" with I'm gonna assume it is with Sheck Wes and Playboi Carti, I really don't know. Carti confirmed it was him doing his best Future/Yacthy/Meatwad deep voice instead of his normal high-pitched one. It's bad don't get me wrong, I liked just cause of how bad it is. I am curious if he's going to keep his best Karl Anthony Towns fake deep voice impression on his next album, should be stupid fun. Yeah, I love this song, I wanna mosh in the pit when this comes on every time. "DELRESTO (ECHOES)" with miss queen bee herself is some real tune, I wonder if this was meant for her album but let's say it was, I could see why it wasn't on hers but Travis instead. She's mainly on the bridge and the hook but her presence felt heavy and stood out the most while Travis just stays in his lane. 

Sampha and Bon Iver, who my friend Adam has said and I am quoting him here, “Commercial rapper’s idea of pushing boundary music is working with Justin Vernon and James Blake”, I did that wheezing laugh shit when I saw that. Let me get back on track here, they appear on “MY EYES”, theme of the track is Travis talking he feels the lack of love and materialistic things fill that void of sadness. He boasts about his rich lifestyle, it’s nothing new and original but the production helps. Very beautiful and haunting, I get chills when this comes on, some late-night drive tunes. 21 Savage appears both on the closing track and “TOPIA TWINS” and, I don’t know man…something is off here. I enjoy 21, I enjoy most of his features but..whenever he’s featured on a Travis Scott, he’s not at his best. A check is a check I guess, It was cool to hear Rob49 on the track, I thought it was NBA young boy at first, but he got the same energy. I need to check out his music more, I heard his recent album was cool.

“Skitzo” with Young Thug sounds like a leftover track that would’ve been leaked two years ago and forgotten about quickly, I wasn’t feeling it. I know all the little hype beasts who watch videos daily on Kick and Rumble were hyped to hear the line about Travis voting Ye over Biden *eyes roll*. “Parasail” production is cool and that’s the only thing I’ll praise about it. “LOOOVE” is whatever, I didn’t care for Cudi’s feature. “I Know ?” Is another favorite track, it sounds like a cry for help, Travis talking about his addiction to drugs and alcohol, people care about his well-being but he feels the people don’t care for him like that. He sounded like my dad before he officially got clean for good. I enjoy the creepy and raw vocals, and I felt the message and theme is relatable for a lot of people dealing with addiction that they’re blind to how harmful it is for themselves. 

My final thought is overall I enjoyed this a bit more than the I did. I do have concerns though, I feel like at times this album feels empty and hollow from time to time. When I look at Travis's other albums, despite how you feel about them, they have memorable moments. From beat changes, verses, and random bars. This here, not so many, I feel like me and a few writers when I read their pieces. Sure, Carti rapping in the weird voice is a major one, Drake will get talking about the tiring Pusha feud still happening, but people still talk about the “stroke your cactus”, Nav’s horrible mixed vocals on “Yosemite, Nav’s classic verse on “Beibs in the trap”, Quavo on “Oh My Dis Side”, “Breast milk in the lean cup”, and so many more memorable shit. This album felt like an album for more of the die-hards, the ones who been from day one, not the ones from Astroworld and collect his shoes to “invest” in their future bag. I will say, it’s the “best” big major release from the lackluster year for Hip-Hop (for now until Drake drops), but that isn’t saying much. Still, I like the album, I enjoy it more than “Astroworld, I wished I loved it more like Rodeo but with different sounds, switch-ups, and the hood features that outshine Travis for most of the album, the album is cool for what it is. 


Favorite Tracks: Lost Forever, God's Country, Meltdown, FE!N, I Know, Telekinesis, Modern Jam, My Eyes, Delresto (Echoes) 

Least Favorite Tracks: K-Pop










Comments