Rob’s Rapid Fire Review pt. 8 (I’m running out of number jokes)

 


Well hello, hasn’t been not that long since I posted anything but for the series…..It's been a minute. if you've been following me on Twitter, I have been doing the #MWE gimmick for the past month, If you don't know, it's a series of albums you've never heard in full. It's been a fun ride digging into artists' catalogs or new artists I've never gotten into. Anyways, the month of February had a few major releases but we are still way early in the year to debate what the album of the year is. This shouldn't be a long piece today so let's get right into these mini-reviews. 


This Is Why by Paramore: First listening to this I wasn't in love with this record, I appreciated it for what it was. I felt there wasn't a stand-out song or single that made me want to go back on repeat, I liked they switched their sound once again, emo post-UK punk and a bit of pop-punk from their early days. The more I listen to this record, I ended up loving it a lot more. I appreciate how mature the album is, relates to me as the album is perfect for people born in the early '90s being over 30, or about to be 30, being terrified of middle age creeping up on them. Hayley's writing and vocals is what carried the album for me and the main reason I went back to it. Not sonically groundbreaking or unique but they didn't lean into nostalgia. They were able to find that balance between old and new with new ideas to explore. A very cohesive and short album that doesn't overstay its welcome, and the mid(ish) life crisis lyrics and themes hit home for me on a personal level. Hope more bands from this era and sound can do albums like this soon. 

Raven by Kelela: It's been a long time since her last album, so the exceptions for this were at an all-time high, for me was it worth the wait? Sort of? I prefer her debut album but have heard numerous R&B albums that have all styles but no substance, This was rejuvenating to listen to with the ambient and dance-pop. I love her vocals, the production is solid, enjoy the themes here, but some of the ways the songs were structured and around the second half of the record, I ended up tuning out and became background music. Songs I had wished built to something grand but it ended up flat or wanted more from. It's a rollercoaster of emotions of an album but I wanted those moments to HIT but they sadly didn't. Conflicting is the definition of the album, maybe it will grow on me later. 

Mafia Musik by D Savage: This was a cool listen. Dropping this with all the shit going on with Carti and his artists is pretty funny and great timing. My main gripe with this, I don’t complain too much about it anymore, but he's got to find a new person to mix his work. The mixing sounds like shit, Made Savage sound like he was rapping on ps4 mic. They're still good moments, and the single "Kome On" has been on repeat, and the tail end of the project had the best tracks but with better mixing, this would've hit a lot harder. 

Quest For Fire/Don't Get Too Close by Skrillex: Looks like we got a double album to talk about here, been a minute, Also to think I would be talking about this guy's music were old me wouldn't but people do evolve. I get two different vibes from both albums, one seems to appease his more hardcore fans, also the fans who are deep into this scene, and other artists from the genre. Another album seems more accessible album to casuals, big name features, and more of a commercial sound. With "Don't Get Too Close" I was more hyped on this cause of the rap features and weird collabs like we have Keef and Corbin on a track, We got two tracks for the Bladee fans, and Bugatti Biebz is back! Listen, I did set up my exceptions WAY TOO HIGH, and I hate when that happens. I don't dislike the 2nd album, they're some bops and high moments but, It fell flat. I thought the Bladee songs could've worked but I felt "Eh?", The Keef and Corbin weren't all that, and Cudi sounds like a leftover for his mid-movie. I liked the PinkPantheress song, Biebz did his thing, and I enjoyed the BEAM and Bibi's tracks. 

“Quest For Fire" was my shit though! I prefer this album, I wanna go to an event after hearing this album. It’s not a very cohesive project but the songs individually are pretty good for what they are. The production sounds fresh and artful, it stands out from what others have done in the genre in the past few years. Great snares, 808's, mixdowns, and drops too as well. Shout out for his use of reggae and middle eastern music with respect and care, not feeling forced or generic. I enjoyed the tracks with Porter Robin and Four Tet, who are two artists I credit a lot for being interested in the genre. I did say this album is more for the die-hard fan of the genre or his music itself but I feel like it's pretty accessible for the casual enjoyer. 


College Park by Logic: For someone who’s such a huge Tarantino guy, I never thought he would do a remake/reboot/prequel of art but this is what I got the vibe from this new album. From the cover art to the skits at the end of every song (side note: I didn’t like the skits that much. I understand the context for the story of the album but they just dragged on and on. I’m glad however, he go the route of him releasing them as tracks, shit would be a chore to listen to even worse.) and vibes of the song. It’s not a “Vinyl Days” or his “retirement” album but it’s better than most of his work before that. I will say that this record has more depth and storytelling than the other two albums. 

The Boom Bap mixed with Jazz production and lyrics have the aesthetic of a 2011 Logic but balance out with the current day Logic. I’m fine with this record. In the past when he does these albums where he has the concept, idea, and story when he was giving this background, they always fall flat. I think my main issue is that in the middle it falls off a bit, I thought the weed track is the most boring weed song I’ve heard, Take that bullshit back and leave it in 2011. The features are good, the big highlights of the record. Castro and Big Lenbo have been with him since his early days, so makes sense they are here, Fat Trel I never thought I would see a day these two would have a song together but since they are from the same area, I can see why he’s on here. Seth MacFarlane has a feature, I think it’s funny people thought he was gonna rap or a skit but he does the lounge singing shit, which I will say, is pretty good, and Redman killed his verse. Shout out RZA and Joey Badass too. “Lightyear” has this transition of more of a songwriter/singing sound, It sounds like this would be the end credit song for a movie or maybe it’s a teaser for his next album. (I hope not, Supermarket was a horrible album). I know people tuned out on Bobby but what the album it is worth, It’s a cool record with its flaws and all like the man himself. 


AfterLyfe by Yeat: *SIGH* You know. I could repeat myself, again and again, how I feel about this dude. Look, He has good songs, I think his flow stands out to me, and the production is crazy but the albums themselves? I can't man. NO MORE ALBUMS WITH MORE THAN 15 TRACKS! IT DOESN'T WORK WITH EVERYONE. I will say those albums do have standouts but with this? I didn't find anything that stood out. Few lines here and there but a song? No. I hate to say this but this shit was so boring, and a Yeat album shouldn't be boring. I don't have much to say, this wasn't it. 


Glockoma 2 by Key Glock: Not my favorite project of his but a still solid album of his. It would've been nice to hear a feature or two but it's ok. Nothing major. I respect him and he's my thoughts and prayers have the shit he's been dealing with since Dolph's passing, You can hear the pain and heartbreak in a few tracks how much he meant to him, thanking him for everything he's done. If you looking for some southern rap music with head-bopping flows and beats, this guy and the album are for you. 


Love Sick by Don Toilver: Crazy to say that Don is the new Ty Dolla? Seems like the go-to guy for hooks as of late like Ty was during the mid-2010s. Never been a huge Don fan, Like Ty Dolla, I enjoy him as a featured artist more than a solo artist. Both are similar too with their debut/breakthrough projects being their best works and then albums after that not meeting expectations. This album itself after more listens, I'm feeling "meh". The tracks that have features unironically are the best things about this. Cause I am picturing this when the songs come out as he's the side and not the main attraction. Bieber singing about drinking lean is comedy man but I liked his verse more than others did online. Love to hear James Blake, Toro Y Moi, and Uncle Charles Wilson here, I thought they would feel out of place with Don's style of music but they fit well. Nice to see TisaKorean get a feature, even if it was brief and short, GloRilla did her thang, and Brent being here was maybe a dream collab for fans of both artists and he was cool on his part. Overall, the album is whatever, Moments sound underdeveloped and uninspiring with the lyrics and production. An album I won't remember or go back to as the year goes by.


Cracker Island by Gorillaz: I have mixed feelings about this. I’ve heard most of the album already before the official release. The rollout wasn’t that good at all when I look back at it. Now that it’s here, I just feel underwhelmed, I hate this cause this has been the case with the band since “Plastic beach”. It sounds like a diet “Plastic Beach” when it all comes down to it. I feel like if this came out during the summer maybe I would’ve liked this more, I like The synth-pop production, Bad Bunny and Tame Impala being on here makes the most sense for the sound, but the problem is it's top-heavy. Starts good but falls off so bad that it becomes a chore and a hassle, which it's wild to say cause the album isn't long. Overall I wanted to like this but for me to love/like this album, it should’ve been inconsistent despite having bright spots when you pick it apart and what could've been a stellar album. 




Comments