My Favorite Tracks of 2022

 


 It's that time of the year again.....YEAR-END LISTS!!! 2022 in the year of music was pretty good but, also wasn't. The big names that people who've been waiting for to drop since the pandemic had been started finally delivered, the up and coming scene has been flourishing as of late, thanks to Tik Tok, and it was a good thing since I always discovered new artists on that app or word of mouth. I did feel however with so much dropping this year since everyone is able to do the normal shit again, albums came and went rapidly quickly. Some of these artists' biggest songs, either their promo single or a deep cut from the record kept their buzz going, even if the album did poorly or was passed by a week later when someone else dropped. We can talk about that another time (list), today we gonna talk about my favorite tracks of this year.  I will have a playlist of those I've enjoyed, I won't talk about every song on here but I'll talk about the ones that stuck out to me. Without further ado...

Glimpse of Us by Joji: Awhile the album itself wasn't all that, this single held up the whole project. I wouldn't say Joji is although great singer but sounds amazing here. The whole theme of the song he's been in a new relationship, he still misses his former lover and sees her when he looks into her eyes. I remember seeing video discussions about this track on the clock app if this is a normal thing or question if this should be considering cheating. It was amusing to witness. I'll admit I had a moment like that a few years ago, I do miss her, hope's she well. This track is easily my favorite track of the year, It's a pretty simple vision of a song but it just works cause of Joji's vocals and pain on the hook. The video is also my favorite of the year, shit is insane. 


Bad Habit by Steve Lacy: Hoe said she liked, Steve Lacy. This shit was everywhere, I mean everywhere. I do hate and worry the tik-tokification of him could be his downfall. I don't think it will cause he is talented as hell despite some questionable things he has said or done, not talking about smashing a fan's phone or telling a child to shut the fuck up (shit had me rolling). Back to the song, Shit is amazing. The song is a simple one, reflecting on an attraction to someone and what could've been. It's such a catchy tune, it's a pretty easy track to remember all the words, and the guitar and melody get stuck in your head all day. It's a fun song overall, I hope wins for best record/song of the year at this Grammy's. 



Sacrifice by The Weeknd: Spotify told me this was my most played of the year, it makes sense. This was the first big album of the year, WWE had this song as its theme song for that year's Wrestlemania. I thought "Out of Time" would've been number one since I remember loving the city pop vibes and singing drunk karaoke in my room alone. Something about that funk guitar kept me coming back to this song over and over again. I picture myself doing that dance number from spiderman 3 when this shit comes on shuffle. Such a fun song overall, I can see why I spun this song over and over again. 


Massive by Drake: I don't care what his fans or haters say about this album, I love this shit man. I'm glad he wanted to take a risk for once in his life. I never hated Drake at all, just been a super harsh critic of him as a fan of his. This song got played tons, shit reminds me of the club dancing mini-games from The Ballad of Gay Tony DLC. Chorus and the beat drops could've been utilized for the kingdom hearts franchise, the beep that plays over and over suits the SSX franchise too. I guess this is why I adore this song, reminds me of the PS2/PS3 period of video game soundtracks. The theme is your typical Drake-type "I can't over my ex-girlfriend" song, it works when it works. I'm still waiting for Gum or Dazegxd to work on a remix of this song, I know they can work their magic on this. Just a perfect summer song I'm going to play for years to come.


Plasma by DR. GABBA: I still don't know how I discovered this shit to be quite honest. I know they have blown up on TikTok and the Spotify "artists we suggest" tab kept shoving this shit in my face every day and had me go "Fine I'll see what this is about". The same piano house beat they use gets played continually on every song as a loop, just with minor tweaks. Makes me curious if this was the purpose of the album since it is named "Planet Piano". Something about this makes me keep going back to this album and song and just smile when it's on. Tasteful bangers to show off to your pals create AMVs or you had to perform for a DJ set to create the mood. Serotonin is the best way I can explain this, you simply have to listen to this to experience this gem I found. 


Talk by Yeat: I have yet to fully enjoy a Yeat album, at all. However, he has that song or two from each album he drops to keep me from being invested in his whole wave. It shocks me he didn't even get a nomination for best new artist, according to the stat nerds, he has more streams than all of the artists who got picked. Combined mind you. An Odd and hypnotizing song, just the way it was assembled makes this song stick out. His flows and cadence are the reason it draws me in, he switches back and forth between rapping slow and fast throughout, and it is addictive. The production is nuts, I am curious how Yeat finds this folks, he has a great ear currently right now for beats. Just sounds fresh and different from what I hear as of late. I am very glad this snippet of Steph Curry TikTok dancing to this eventually got released.


As It Was by Harry Styles: I'm gonna sound weird saying this, but I just feel warm and fuzzy when this track plays. I mean yeah, this shit you will hear five times a day at your retail job radio station but something about this, I just love it. The synths are so good on the hook, I like Harry's soft vocals too, him singing about lost love, but the way the production and mood he uses, keeps it light and not dark and moody. It doesn't mean the lyrics are light-hearted, it gets kinda dark the in the second verse. Him singing about his self-destructive behavior and wanting to return to his old lover. Towards the end, he doesn't want to talk about the way that it was anymore. He's tired of oppressing emotions because the pain it causes when he opens up about it, becomes too much of a habit. Songs like this that have that light feel but dark lyrics always hook me in, Harry was a guilty pleasure of mine, and now I am a full-time fan. He seems like a cool lad. Keep expressing yourself. 


TitÍ Me Preguntó by Bad Bunny: I'll admit here, my Spanish is horrible. Yes, I'm Mexican but it was never really spoken in my household. Bad Bunny is someone I was aware of, I'll admit I was a bit of a hater back then. I would listen to him everywhere whenever I was around my cousins, I rather listen to that shit my Grandpa and Grandma would play. Before I was more open-minded, I thought he just made songs for chicks. In reality, He and I had tons in common, we are both nerds when it comes to wrestling and anime. Hell, I was super inspired by his wrestling skills, I wished he does more matches down the road, I even defended him when idiots online were talking shit saying "who?!". I knew he was a big deal! Anyways back to this track, I'm glad it dropped at a perfect time, He had dropped a bunch of records in 2020 but we weren't able to go outside, so I couldn't get drunk and be dancing to his music. I love the sample he uses here, it's a classic bachata song from the 90s, shit is so catchy. I be singing the hook almost every day since it came out. The beat transition into some sad boy about him wanting to fall in love but he can't and honestly doesn't want to. Such a fun song from such a fun album. 


Other tracks I liked this year: The more I listen to "Her Loss", the more I like it. It's a very good record with its flaws. I know "Rich Flex" was the bigger hit but shoutout to "Privellaged Rappers", it's very low-key, people hate when Drake sounds "lazy" on songs like this but it just works honestly. I do wanna shout out another Drake song from "Honestly Nevermind", which is "Jimmy Cooks". Doesn't shock me that this blew up out of all the songs from this with the mixed reactions. It's basically his Bound 2. I have gripes with the new Taylor Swift album, "Anti-Hero" which was the lead single, is a good ass song. She finally admits that she might've been the whole problem and isn't a perfect human being. I thought it was a cute thing she admit it and fits the whole theme of the song. As someone who defends Post from time to time, due to my own mother loving him a bunch. I didn't care for his recent album. "I Like You" with Doja Cat was a bubbly tune that I'll admit, catch myself singing and shuffling along to this whenever it came on my work's radio. They have good chemistry together, they have done other collaborations before on other's records but to hear them do their own together is dope. "Hotel Lobby" had 2/3 of the Migos return to form, The album was cool but this song is easily the biggest highlight. I enjoy the memes that came outta this song blowing up. RIP Takeoff. 


I don't wanna spoil an up-and-coming year-end list, but the Jack Harlow album was terrible. I'll expand more later this month. I hate to admit but "First Class" grew on me, I blame the hot females on TikTok for making me appreciate this shit. I don't how long the meme will last but "Munch" by Ice Spice is so stupid, I love it. "Johnny P Caddy" was a dope record from Benny the Butcher, nice to hear J. Cole on an Alchemist beat. Cole always kills his features. "Doja" does have questionable lyrics but one of the better British rappers songs I've heard, that line always gets repeated many times in chats or with my coworkers. "Poland" by Lil Yachty. I took the WoooOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOoooooOOOOOOOOOOooooOOOOck to Poland. Another trip of a fucking song was "Rich Minon" by Yeat. I can't believe it's real. Good song though! "Talk the Talk" is a fine song from my favorite girl group TWICE, I believe "'Basics" was the better record, I like to prefer this type of k pop track to be honest. All the ladies sound great together dueting on the verses. “Pop” by Naeyeon got me memorizing the dance, I feel so dorky dancing, cute shit nonetheless. Just a sucker for bubbly melodies. Shout to Kevin and Damon for providing playlists of K and J Pop music.“CUFF IT” from the queen bee was a more exciting song than her lead single “BREAK MY SOUL”. Mainly due to "BREAK MY SOUL" being super overplayed, you can tell it was just meant for radio play and chart numbers. It's weird she still looking for hits, she shouldn't. "CUFF IT" got that retro 70's disco sound that's been making a revival lately. The song just sounds sexy, makes me wish I was around this era and dancing with my future queen. 


Before we out head out, last year we talked about a weird song that I wanted everyone to check out. We are back at it again. Shout out @Billdifferen for bringing this song onto my radar. Saint Mercator is an artist based in New York with this song titled “She Said” and man. Listen. WHAT THE FUCK?? one of the most unhinged songs I've heard. it sounds like you gave someone angel dust mixed with PCP, singing karaoke on an HP laptop mic. Production is that pluggnb shit that's been a wave as of late, it's nice but god damn the vocals had me crying. "SHE TOLD ME WANT TO FUCK" when his voice cracking had my stomach. What's great is that saint is taking this shit seriously and, I love it, folks. Like Tayler said, it's like a Gen Z Willy Wills meets ILOVEMAKONNEN. You may think it's ass yes, but something about this shit simply makes me smile when this comes on. You merely have to experience it. 

One more final thing…..JELEEL YEAAAAAAAAA!!

Thanks for reading. Links will be down below. 

Favorite songs playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1fCZv5X5NxsaWSOqlwssQx?si=M4Z7YQIkRSua6pSGOevgow&pt=8056410aaaa92f6ac671aa9c9ddb16e9

She Said by Saint Mercator link: https://on.soundcloud.com/kd2heN9EMgJRDREU7

Billdiffern blogspot: https://billdifferen.blogspot.com/

 

Comments