Her Loss by Drake & 21 Savage

 



Well, they must've read my review cause the album is real. We need to address the elephant in the room. Hey Drake, you're a man of culture huh? You like the hentai too huh? pretty based. Anyways, It's dope that the two did an album together. The "rollout" of making fun of album rollouts is pretty hilarious too, please do that NPR tiny desk for real. I felt this is a side b to "Honestly Nevermind" or more a "here damn" after most people, including his die-hard fans, hated the last album.  Also, Drake being a massive fan of the southern rap scene old and new, I knew they were going with those styles of production and atheistic. I'll admit however, this doesn't feel like a collaborative album at all. 21 is mainly background noise while Drake steals the spotlight, which isn't all that surprising since he's the bigger attraction. According to stats nerds, 21 Savage is only on 26 percent of this. I mean shit, Drake has four solo songs, and Savage only got one. It makes me wonder why Drake didn't just this drop as a solo mixtape but if he had a bunch of tracks with 21 on it in the vault, I can see why he labeled this a collab album. I'll say this, I prefer "Honestly Nevermind" over this. I do think, however, this is drake's best album (rapping-wise) in years, and also the best he has sounded in quite a few years. For 21 Savage, it's a step back for himself. 

"Her Loss" feels like a sequel to "If You're Reading This, It's Too Late". That mixtape I didn't skip hardly any tracks, and with this one, I feel the same vibes I get with that tape. I'm not in love with this album, I wish it felt more like an album where it was 50/50 but I enjoyed what I got. The album does start off a bit slow and rough, "Rich Flex" has nice beat transitions, Drake sounded on the Seque, I wished he continued on that production cause that shit sounded smooth. Both of their verses and their own beats were alright. I thought 21 was slightly better, Drake sounds hilarious with that "21, Can do you something for me", it sounds so goofy. I knew he had to get that viral meme outta it cause this shit is everywhere on TikTok. I wished the intro was better all. "Major Distribution" is pretty boring, I thought the intro before the beat switch was the best part of this song. The production is too lowkey for me, wished it had more a punch.  

"On BS" is where this bullshit gets going. 21 and Drake going back and forth on this first verse was great. That Drake line when he said "I can jump on a song and make a label they need ya" is such a dickhead statement but rings so true. He's really not wrong, when you get that drake stimulus package aka that feature, you gonna get that boost. That promo from "Birdman" was comedy.  Despite that cringy line and the old joke about him voting for Teanna Trump, "BackOutsideBoyz" is a fun song. Lil Boat should've got a verse here, I am glad he got his flowers since he helped Drake work on this album. Thugga and Gunna would've sounded dope on this track too. We do have to address another elephant in the room, well many. "She a ten tryna to rap, its good on mute", I know Ice Spice rejected you but damn man. 

I mentioned earlier that Drake sounded the best in years rapping wise but there is a lot of misology and not giving a fuck lyrics. I think he's at the point in his career, he doesn't care, which is funny but also not. "Privileged Rappers" with the hook, had to be dissed to someone. I'm not too sure who, but I have a few guesses that I keep to myself. 21 Savage had a rare moment where he outshined Drake, 21 flowed great with the laidback production. That "wipe my dick with her bra" made me giggle. "Spin Bout U" is my favorite track, I love this style of song Drake does. 21 floated with his slow tone, I agree with the finsta line. Show me that instead baby girl. DRAKE SAID WOMEN'S RIGHTS!!!!!!! that pro-choice line was a huge win. "Hours In Silence" is just a sequel to "Diamonds Dancing" with 21 replacing Future. Nothing beats the original but still a solid song, I can tell this will be played a lot during the cold winter nights. 

"Treacherous Twins" I didn't like this. The hook is not that good, sounds like it could've been a "Drake is the type of guy" meme. "Circo Loco" uses "One More Time" with the hook and a chopped and screwed, compressed production. So yea? I guess Ye and Drake ain't really friends again. He only did it for J Prince (LMAO). It makes that whole Larry Hoover show just funny and stupid as it already was. He even cried too, god this is so funny. Ye deserves this however since he's been a piece of shit as of late. So using the one more time sample, that Ye also used with "Stronger" adds the cherry on top. Very clever drake. That Megan subintimal? YEESH. Yeah, kinda gross there. I'll admit I did laugh but not in a funny way, more like "You gotta be fucking kidding me here?". Big OOF. Just a contradiction with this line and the whole "protect all women" line as well. This song is dope but I'm conflicted. "Pussy & Millions", if it was just part two of the track with Travis. I think this song would get more praise from me. "Broke Boys" is just boring. 

"Middle Of The Ocean" is another favorite of mine. I like this style of Drake songs too, been saying it a million times. Love the sample of "Mo Money, Mo Murder" from underrated MC AZ. The song fits the title perfectly, I did feel like I was in the ocean. Drake takes a shot at Serena William's husband, calling him a groupie. The dude's response was comedy on Twitter. What's wrong with Hibachi too man? I love that place. My favorite line is where he said he feels like an amber alert when he takes her to the mall and she finds the Tiffany jewelry store, I'm like "Alright man, that was good." "Jumbotron Shit Poppin" is the weaker Drake solo track. It's cool FL1THY produced this with Oogie Mane, it sounded this should've been for Yachty or Thug, you can hear their influences on the way Drake raps.  

"More M's" sounds like a teaser for what's to come with the upcoming Metro Boomin album, as of this writing was delayed to next month. 21 had the better verse than Drake on this one, the baptize someone, and sending them home with a blanket is dope wordplay. "3AM on Glenwood" which I thought was another series of Drake at a random city and time but, We have 21 on here with his only solo track. 21 did his thing here, he sounds great on these types of beats. Hope we get to hear more down the line. The final song is ok, it reminds me of old Drizzy tracks from years ago.

 My final thoughts are while I feel like this is more of a Drake solo album than a collab album, I still enjoy what it is. I still prefer the album everyone hated over this, mainly cause it was something different from the boy. Tons of contracting lyrics, wished 21 had more solo songs or wasn’t background noise. Will Drake ever grow up? probably not. Now, let us hope we hear that solo 21 albums, and maybe Drake can do another house album to tell his stans to fuck off. 



Favorite Tracks: Spin Bout U, Middle of the Ocean, BackOutsideBoyz, Hours in Silence, Circo Loco, 3AM on Glenwood, More M's, Privileged Rappers

My Least Favorite Tracks: Treachous Twins 







Comments