Lucky 7th Edition of Rob’s Rapid Fire Review


 

It’s been a minute since I was in the mood to write again. A lot of music dropped since my last review, I had motivation, but then it went away cause work or felt like the piece that I was working on was just gonna be terrible. I didn't even do my mid-year best albums so far list, which I do regret not doing. Also, my laptop went to shit too. I'm lucky I have a backup and a tablet but they both run slow as shit but it’s functioning. I’m also in the process of trying to move out again so I've been mentally not all there right now. However, In today’s edition of Rob’s rapid-fire, I’m going to do very short reviews (unless I ramble for no reason) about albums that came out recently. And I also wanna share some quick thoughts on some other topics, so this shit might be all over the place but at least this will get me motivated to do something and not get comfortable being lazy. I might make this into a bi-weekly series if I have the motivation and my mental state is ok. So here we go 


$oul $old $epartely by Freddie Gibbs: Like the late and great Nipsey Hussle, Gibbs has finally reached the finish line and has made it. Gibbs has been at it for a decade, which is crazy cause he didn't get that much attention from the hip-hop heads like that till 2014 with his first album with Madlib. Sure, he was a former XXL freshman back in 2010 and was signed with Jeezy but after his falling out with him, Gibbs was blackballed from the music industry for quite a bit. Sidetrack, I’m gonna be mentioning the word “blackballed” a lot here. Apologies in advance. Anyways, Gibbs was floating around in the underground till he got to work with Madlib, at the time people were questioning why Madlib would work with Freddie but, it was a success. Gibbs did face another bump in the road with his career with him getting arrested overseas for a crime that he wasn’t even there for (my memory is a bit hazy on what happened) and it took a while for him to enter the states again and get back on track. Gibbs got to do another album with Madlib, two albums with the alchemist, and a couple of short projects to get where we are now. 

I’ll admit, I do enjoy this record but I felt his project last year with The Alchemist was slightly better. him working with new producers and rap over new sounds, I thought it proved the album's point of what it wanted to go for. It’s nice to see Freddie step out of his comfort zone. You feel like the king of the world but still gave enemies at every corner, waiting on your downfall. I do hope he continues to expand on the new sounds he was trying here but, if he sticks to his old tricks, it wouldn't upset me cause what works for ya is sometimes always the best thing to do. 

Favorite Tracks: Couldn't Be Done, Zipper Bagz, Feel No Pain, PYS. 


Entergalatic by Kid Cudi: If this is Cudi's final album, what a boring way to bow out. A rough year for the man looking back at it. Getting booed and got water bottles thrown at him, His mentor/former boss beefed with him once again, and Mike Dean started the trend of calling Cudi "Mid Cudi". This album is a tie-in with his new Netflix show which became a movie cause of covid, and Cudi wanted to change the format of how he wants to release this new passion project. As I am writing this, I haven't seen the movie yet (keep an eye out on my letterboxd) but I do hope the show is better than this album. The Second half of this entire album was honestly the saving grace from me being hated way more. The vocals sound very rough and the production is very samey. I lost interest quickly. I know Cudi is out of his prime but if this is truly the end of an era for him musically, I just wished he went out with a bang, not a dud. 

Favorite Tracks: Maybe So, Livin' My Truth, and My Drug 


I Got Issues By YG: *sigh* I miss the old YG. I think the tracks that dive into that G-funk sound work for him, he was sounding like his old self. When he tries to hit that mainstream, "I am chasing a hit to blow up on tik tok" sound, it just doesn't work at all. This album is comedy cause he does the whole "Toxic Masculinity" thing all the nerds and incels love from their rappers, On one track he barks at her to stay in the kitchen and her appearance. We get tracks where he gets all lovey-dovey, I had to let out a burst of laughter. His own version of that 50 Cent classic "How to Rob a Rapper" with Mozzy was the best highlight for me. It was also nice to hear Suga Free too, twitter needs to leave him alone. The Nas track was really cool, 2012 I would've heard this and been going crazy happening. Overall, an underwhelming record but if I'm being honest, it is better than a lot of shit he's been putting out as of late.

My favorite tracks are: How to Rob a Rapper, No Weapon, and Maniac


Sorry 4 What by Tory Lanez: Oh boy. Um. I really didn't like this album. At All. It's pretty mediocre. I will say though. It's one of his better records in YEARS. That's honestly the nicest thing I could say about this album. He can still rap, I've heard that viral freestyle. Singing is still terrible. He's blackballed for sure but he still has a moment or song that will keep him being talked about, music-wise. The other shit? whole another story. 

Favorite Tracks: If I had to pick one, ill say No Parties in LA. 


Meltz My Eyez See Your Future (The Extended Edtion) by Denzel Curry: I can't stand deluxe albums ninety percent of the time but for him to do a live, jazz album for some of the songs on here was really creative and fucking dope as fuck. If you love this album already, peep the deluxe album. 


Keep The Truth Alive by Drakeo The Ruler: Most posthumous records are usually bad but shout out his brother Ralfy the Plug treating the entire album with respect and care. Not a perfect record but a solid listen nonetheless. We didn't get to hear those awkward feature guests we hear on albums like this when a person passes away. Few songs have that demo feel to them but also you can tell the songs and this entire album was towards the final stages before his passing. Long Live The Ruler, WE KNOW THE TRUTH!! *cough* YG *cough*

Favorite Tracks: Extortion, DRAKEO not Drake-O, Get Yo Boogie On, John Lennon, and 3ks. 


KISS THE RING by Rome Streetz: CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM, CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM, CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEMCONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM, CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM, CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM, CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM, CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM,  CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM, CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM, CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM. (If you like Griselda, you'll enjoy this album. Honestly happy for Rome Streetz finally getting his due. Dope record).

Favorite Tracks: Soulja Boy, Reversible, Blow 4 Blow, Ugly Balenciaga's, Cry Champagne, 100 Ecstasy, and Kiss The Ring. 


Flawless Like Me by Lucki: Another artist who has been doing this for a decade finally reaches that finish line and gets his own victory lap on his major label debut album. To be honest, its the run of the mill Lucki album but with a bigger budget. Lucki getting the Future track doesn't shock me at all. Sidenote, I wished Future works with more artists like this sooner than later, get out of your comfort zone more. Babyface Ray did his thing and he's making his own wave, which is nice to see. The album does drag with the time length and I felt recent records are slightly better,  I thought it was a chill listen. Now drop that Brent collab already!

Favorite Tracks: KAPITOL DENIM, WHITE HOUSE, DNA, VVS KEYSKI, and ON POINT. 


Baby on Baby 2 by DaBaby: Oh DaBaby, you are not blackballed at all. You just fell off. It's wild to think back to pre-pandemic he was the biggest and hottest artist and BAM! He fell off so bad. Sure, his antics turned a lot of people off but music-wise, he hasn't evolved. He still rapping on those same beats, the same flows, trying to chase that viral moment but he's not that guy anymore. 


NBA2K23: Ronnie. We need to talk. I understand inflation is kicking everyone's ass right now but come on man! We don't need this shit to happen with our VC! shit! we 150k VC use to get our players from 60 to 80, sometimes 85 but now? it hardly goes up. You will have to spend almost 200 dollars to get an 85 now. Insane. Also, Luka is so OP in this game. He averages 45 points a game. They need to nerf him soon. The online is the worst it's ever been, I hate the park/rec scene. No one will play with you depending if your build is a Glass Cleaner or a dribble god. Like, I know the online scene was bad for years, it is so hard to find a game now. My career story is terrible but at least I'll remember some of the stupid shit I get to do, Like selling hot dogs and doing tik-toks to sell merch. 

The gameplay is pretty smooth, the shot meter did piss people off but ya'll need to practice that shot. It's pretty simple. Defense against the AI is the same to me as the recent one, annoying. Revamping the franchise mode with the new MYNBA Era will make me play the game longer than last year. I love creating the "what ifs" scenarios, Seeing Lebron getting drafted by the grizzlies with the fourth pick was always comedy gold. overall, fine game. 


Spiderr by Bladee: It's a good album, the lyrics are pretty dark at times with the production. I'll admit though, not many songs stand out to me. I don't have much to say that it's another bladee album. 


What I've been watching/You should watch: I finally got around to watching Better Call Saul, It's elite television. I am on the final season currently. I prefer it over breaking bad cause Bob is the main character everywhere he goes. Ramy season 3 was very weird but I enjoyed it. He's still a shitty person, and so is his family. Summer anime season was kinda meh, Fall is super stacked. Fuck man. Bleach is back, it's nice to see them adapt the a1000 year blood war arc people have been wanting for years. This show being streamed on Hulu/Disney Plus is an interesting choice, I guess the "Mickey Mouse" jokes have become a reality. Chainswan man, Mob Psycho final season, Bluelock, and My Hero season 6 are the main highlights for me this anime season. 

Right now I’m waiting for Monster to hit Netflix, I heard that shit is really good. Legend of the galactic heroes was an anime I finished during the summer, everyone should watch it. 


AEW: Look the backstage fights are pretty funny but let's be serious. GET IT FUCKING TOGETHER.

WWE: The Triple H has been fine so far I’ll admit. I'm not watching this shit weekly again though. 

And that’s rob rapid’s fire review. Thank you for reading. I appreciate you guys a lot. I know I was away for a while but I’m in high spirits for now. I’ll make sure I’ll keep this writing thing going. 




  

Comments